Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Miss Manners...Media...Media...Miss Manners

I have not yet named my computer, but I know people who have. I have yelled at it, cursed it, and threatened to throw it out the window. People are polite to computers? Media equal real life? I don't have a hard time finding clarity in these arguments. People might occasionally confuse media and real life? My husband thinks it happens every Thursday night when I (would like to be able to) forget my "real" family and become absorbed in Grey's Anatomy.

I find it fascinating that "people respond socially and naturally to media even though they believe it is not reasonable to do so, and even though they don't think these responses characterize themselves." Why else do companies spend millions of dollars on advertising, politicians on savvy media advisors, and tv and movie moguls on the best producers/directors? Does our ignorance of these outside influences make us more vulnerable to them? What does it say that the media is able to control our decisions wihout our conscious awareness? Is this phenomenon only snowballing as we get busier and busier and look for more and more ways to not put forth more effort? Are those in this media infused generation more susceptible to this automatic response?

In terms of improving media design for educational purposes, the Media Equation has interesting implications. If it works, why not consider it when designing interfaces? Perhaps as broad as these social rules are (politeness,proximity and personal space), however, we should consider the context of the learning situation. I wonder if a little tweaking would make the students take better care of their laptops?

You might also want to check this out. The authors are also involved in Media X, a project joining industry and academia with a " belief that we serve two customers: industry partners that affiliate with our program, and the research community within Stanford University. Media X puts in place the building blocks that make these interactions work and make possible new models of innovation."

4 comments:

Crystal Crozier said...

I couldn't agree more. The media does have a profound impact on everyone's life. I know it does on mine.

You mention advertising, and right now, I could almost quote verbatim several commercials being promoted right now. I have to admit that I have often bought something solely based on a commercial. Not too bright? Yes. Am I the first to do it? No. Will I be the last? No. Will I buy something again based soley on an ad? Honestly, probably. I am human.

So, you mentioned, "I wonder if a little tweaking would make the students take better care of their laptops?" What exactly do you think you could do to tweak this initiative? Commercials and advertisement? Blogging? Web Site? What form of media would you use to encourage students to take care of their laptops?

Mr. Wells said...

Hey Ann. I didn't want to read/respond to this until I had completed my own entry. Before I start I want to apologize for the confusion I caused to you, and thank you for all the kind words you have written about my writing. I am truly flattered, especially from someone I have found to be a trail-blazing, tenacious team member. You inspire me.

To answer Crystal's question, I immediately thought of the three rhetorical appeals I teach my students: ethos, logos, and pathos. Ethos = ethics, logos = logic, and pathos = pathetic (feelings/emotions). So, perhaps, if children were given computers that appealed to pathos when used improperly by the young user, the children might learn to take better care of technology. Say a child is walking home from school with her laptop. If she were bouncing it around too much, the computer might "say" 'Ow, you're hurting me.' If what Reeves, Byron, and Nass has to say is true, this would elicit a response in the child that would cause her to react -- hopefully in a way that would prevent damage to the computer.

Those in marketing are well versed in ethos, logos, and pathos. They know what appeals will work on specific audiences at specific times. That's why I like the Magic Bullet commercials so much. Who wouldn't be seduced by 30 second omelettes? That and the lady smoking the fake cigarette. She's awesome.

Crystal Crozier said...

In reference to Richard's comment, I never thought of having our computers respond on an emotional level. Quite frankly, I would drop the computer if it told me I was hurting it. That would just be too creepy for me.

Ann V. said...

Richard & Crystal-

I'm not sure what I had in mind. Richard's idea of the computer "telling" the user when it was not being handled properly is a good one. I think I was thinking more along the lines of them taking more ownership-personalizing the laptop? I think too, that if we just USED them more, the students would realize how valuable the laptops are to them and perhaps use them with a little more care.

Richard-No problem. I was getting freaked out that my posts were gone forever and I was going to have to come up with more genius responses!:)